Monday, May 24, 2010

Festive Poppyseed Salad from RS Christmas Dinner


The 2009 Relief Society Christmas Dinner had such a mouth watering menu! The Romaine Salad served was so unique and full of such taste bud tantalizing goodies. I knew you would want me to get the recipe for you!
I begged and begged Sister Brooks for her recipe...well okay, no actual begging. 
Lori is always such a generous soul to share with us. (Thanks again Lori!)



P.S. This picture of a romaine salad, is similar but not as beautiful as Lori's recipe.
I wish I had an actual picture of the real salad for you.
I need to carry my camera with me at all times in case my taste buds start humming for joy again!


Festive Poppyseed Salad: (Lori Ady Brooks)


Poppyseed Dressing:


1/3 c. red wine vinegar


1/2 c. vegetable oil


1/2 tsp. salt


2 Tbsp. onion
3 tsp. poppy seeds


2 Tbsp. lemon juice


*Blend all the above in the blender. Keep dressing in the refrigerator.


(**Note I normally double it and it will serve 10-12 people)


---------------------------------------


Romaine lettuce, two lettuce heads, wash and spin.
                               Refrigerate for crispness.


Then add:


1 cup grated Swiss cheese


1 cup cashew nuts


Seeds from 1 pomegranate (approximately)


2 or 3 Gala apples with the peel on


(Note: pears may be substituted for apples)
♥♥ Thanks again to our Relief Society Presidency for such a memorable Christmas evening together. (The Brethren did a class act of serving us and cleaning up!) 
The program was also so heartwarming, and we appreciate Sister Sheila Hague organizing it. 
Also, hugs to all those sisters who were asked to decorate a table with their own dishes and Christmas decorations (or borrowed items). The tables were so festive and beautiful. 
2010 here we come!!