Saturday, June 27, 2020

Bishop Brooks' letter June 28th

June 28, 2020


Dear 5th Ward Members


It seems like June has just flown by, and here we are looking at another Canada Day celebration. Our new normal of social distancing and avoiding handshakes and hugs has evolved into our daily experience. Anyone, especially strangers, who encroach upon our little 6 foot fortress of solitude are looked upon with disdain, if not outright abhorrence. I certainly hope and pray for a miracle that can take us back to the way things were. After all, we are social beings, at least I hope we are. Meeting new people and making new friends should be part of our existence. It’s hard to accomplish that via technology alone.


I’m told we are still looking at likely fall before we return to Sacrament meeting. I know some stakes in our province are looking at starting back, as early as this upcoming Sunday. As I said last week, it’s up to the Stake Presidents and the Bishops as to when it’s deemed safe and appropriate to return. We will let you know and give you plenty of time to prepare. Remember though, even when that day arrives, anyone in the “at risk” group, which is more than 50% of the adults in our ward, are encouraged to carefully consider all factors before going to the meeting house, including whether you feel comfortable getting together with others. Salt Lake made it very clear that if you feel uncomfortable or uneasy or if you are ill or have an underlying condition, including age, that puts you in a high risk group, stay home and we will authorize you to take the sacrament at home. However, that is still some time down the road, so continue to do your home study and take the sacrament every 1st and 3rd Sunday, which in this case will be next Sunday.


In the meantime, I’m sure many of you are working on projects that have been awaiting your attention, sometimes for many years. I heard that Brother and Sister T Bunnage and Brother and Sister M Heninger organized a cul-de-sac garage sale that served to clean out drawers, sheds and garages in their neighbourhood and transfer it into drawers, sheds and garages throughout the community. Speaking of which, I’ve got a garage fridge and some rock maple furniture that would go great in a cabin or rec room. Give me a call. 


I wanted to say thank you to those who made my Father’s Day a little more memorable. I received some wonderful cards, calls and texts, and Brother and Sister Gregson delivered an entire strawberry cheesecake! I’m honoured, touched, and just a little bloated. But seriously, I greatly appreciated your kindnesses.


As I mentioned last week, Elder T Sommerfeldt is about to return to the mission field. We commend him on his desire to serve and wish both he and his family our very best and hope they understand how much we love and appreciate them, as we love and appreciate all whom are serving, along with those who are preparing to serve. It is truly following the example of Christ to lay aside our daily concerns and commitments to go and serve the Lord by spreading His message. We wish Tyson well and look forward to his safe return.


We need to welcome the newly wedded Mr. and Mrs. G. Bunnage to our ward. They have moved into the renovated basement of Todd and Kari. I truly hope the new couple can appreciate the work, effort and pain associated with that particular project, as I understand Kari actually suffered a fractured patella during the process. There are very few things we wouldn’t, and haven’t done for our children. And that’s why families can be together forever. 


This past week, one of the instagram groups I belong to posted an article purporting to include the best quotes from all the modern day prophets. It’s a little misleading as it just included the actual Presidents of the Church in modern times, but I get what they meant. Anyway, it was the very first quote attributed to the Prophet Joseph Smith that caught my eye, and I’m not sure I’d ever heard it before. He said:


“Our Heavenly Father is more liberal in His views, and boundless in His mercies and blessings than we are ready to believe or receive.”


Our challenge is to understand that He loves us and will always be there when we fall to pick us up and help us back on His path, if we will but reach out for His hand. He did not send us here to fail, but to grow, not to be defeated but to conquer and not to quit but to triumph. He is our Eternal Father and He sent His Son to provide an atoning sacrifice so that we might return to Him. I testify to this truth.


Stay safe, stay healthy, stay on the path.


Love,

Bishop Brooks