Saturday, March 6, 2021

Bishop Brooks' letter March 7th

 March 7, 2021


Dear Ward Family


I’m writing this letter to you on Friday morning in the midst of what could likely be called “false spring”, although as I look at the Weather Networks long range forecast, I see little in the way of snow for the next two weeks. Lori always says I spend too much time worrying about the weather, but the fact is I’m always concerned about the roads and whether I need to try to avoid a storm so I can be somewhere I’m scheduled to be. She tells me I still worry about it too much. 


I did have a few days away from the office this week and we again went to Canmore for a time. Now I know we were there only a couple of weeks ago, and it may seem like we spend lots of time there, but the reality is, with the exception of some work related conferences, we’ve never really been there. Anyway, unlike the Valentine’s Day weekend when we suffered through frigid temperatures, a late night fire alarm and an earthquake, this trip was much more relaxing. We were able to take walks each morning and thoroughly enjoyed our time. I suggested that on our way home we take the more scenic Highway 1A back to Calgary, but that idea was quickly squelched by a fairly stern look from my co-pilot. 


I grew up in a family where we often travelled the road less taken, usually on the pretext of it being shorter or having less traffic. I think it was more likely because Dad just loved driving on the back roads to see what he hadn’t seen or experienced before. I’ve caught a bit of that same fever, much to Lori’s dismay. 


So, while travelling home this time, I had to stop at the Fort Macleod Courthouse for a few minutes. When we departed, rather than turning left out of the parking lot I turned right. Even before I had completed the turn, she said “Where are you going?”. I told her we were just going to take a different route. “We’re never going to get home, are we?” was her reply. 


Now, I think there’s a lesson there. For me, it’s likely to never deviate from the approved and much travelled path, although in my defence, it was far from a lengthy detour and indeed avoided the one and only traffic light in Fort Macleod. That it took us through the industrial park, however, was more than enough reason to hear a lengthy lesson on why we should have gone the usual way. But I digress. 


No, the lesson, I believe, is that sometimes it’s ok to take a bit of a different path, as long as the path doesn’t take us from our ultimate goal. Too often, I believe, we just travel life’s path on auto pilot, and as a result may sometimes end up where we don’t want to be. 


A few years ago, when travelling to our cabin in Montana seemed to be an almost weekly occurrence, we arrived in Browning and turned right on main street as per usual. We drove through town, commented on the new hotel and casino on the west end, turned onto the road toward East Glacier, then I slowed down and pulled a quick u-turn. Again, Lori said, “what are you doing?” I told her, we’re not going to the cabin, we’re travelling to Utah. Both of us were in the zone of habit, which in this case wasn’t taking us to where we wanted to go at all.


I wonder if sometimes we do the same as we travel our spiritual path. Of course, good habits are desirable. Daily prayer and scripture study, weekly meeting attendance, monthly ministering, are all good practices and customs to foster and maintain, however, if, like my mindless drive in Browning, we act as an automaton, the chances are we aren’t really getting much out of the trip. That’s why we are reminded to search and ponder rather than just read the scriptures. It’s also why ministering is way more about learning about and helping people than it is to read a monthly message, tell our families to call us if they need anything, then not think about them again until the next month. 


While driving home from Canmore, Lori reminded me of one of the lesser discussed parables, although it is a cousin to a commonly quoted one. 


1Then drew near unto him all the publicans and sinners for to hear him.

2 And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, This man receiveth sinners, and eateth with them.

3 And he spake this parable unto them, saying,

4 What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?

5 And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing.

6 And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.

7 I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

8 Either what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she lose one piece, doth not light a candle, and sweep the house, and seek diligently till she find it?

9 And when she hath found it, she calleth her friends and her neighbours together, saying, Rejoice with me; for I have found the piece which I had lost.

10 Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.


The parable of the lost sheep, of course is often quoted and teaches a valuable message of the worth of a soul, particularly a soul once lost that is now found. However, verses 8-10 teach a similar message, using money rather than livestock in the role of the lost soul.


However, as is pointed out by Donald and Jay Parry in “Understanding the Parables of Jesus Christ”, there is a significant difference between the lost sheep and the lost coin. Whereas the lost sheep likely wandered away from its flock and the protection of its shepherd, or in other words exercised its agency in straying from the path, the lost coin, as an inanimate object, had no such agency. It was lost because of the lack of attention or carelessness on the part of either the owner of the coin or someone who had the responsibility to care for it.


Think about that for a moment in the context of our responsibilities at home or in the church. In both places, we have a stewardship. Whether it be as teachers or parents, we have a duty to look after our charges. That doesn’t mean they don’t have their own agency to choose their path. However, if our inattention or even irresponsibility result in a person leaving the strait and narrow, or heaven forbid, drive a person away, I dare say we would, as the woman with the coin, do all we can to bring them back into the fold. 


However, the two parables, read together, essentially teach the same lesson. The worth of a soul is great in the sight of God, and we are charged with the responsibility to do all we can to bring those souls home to our Father in Heaven. They teach a lesson of redemption; they teach a lesson of The Rescue. 


We have been asked to prepare for our upcoming Stake Conference by being involved in a Temple and Family History challenge. The following was received from Brother Paulson:


The Stake Presidency would invite everyone to participate in a Temple and Family History challenge in the weeks leading up to Stake Conference: 

1-All member adults and youth over the age of 11 hold a current Temple Recommend or Limited-use Recommend, or be working towards that goal. 

2-Search out a name ready to take to the temple (when we are able to do so).

3-Complete at least one batch of indexing or add a memory on Family Search.


Stake Conference itself is scheduled for March 27 and 28. There will be a limited number of tickets for in person attendance (currently around 20 tickets per ward), but that number could go either up or down depending on government direction. Please don’t ask me for a ticket. We don’t know the number of tickets we will receive, and in person attendance will of course be dependant on social distancing and mask wearing. The tickets will be distributed by invitation only. The rest of us will watch via technology. It will not be broadcast to the TSC, instead we will watch in our homes likely via the stake YouTube channel. 


Of course, the following Sunday will be General Conference. I am looking forward to both events.


If you need a temple recommend interview, please contact Brother Spencer so he can arrange it. If you are a parent of a youth, ask them if they have a current limited use recommend and if not, again contact Brother Spencer so we can take care of that. 


Our temple status was just elevated to Phase 3 commencing a week from this Monday. However, the numbers are still strictly limited and require an appointment be made in advance. It does mean, however, that with an appointment we can do proxy work. It will be a wonderful thing to be able to return to God’s house. 


Stay safe, stay healthy and social distance.


We love you all.


Bishop Brooks