May 30, 2021
Dear 5th Ward Family
It’s a blustery day outside as I sit down to write a letter to you all. As Lori and I were driving back to Cardston yesterday, the wind was moving our vehicle all over the road, but when we arrived home, the wind had died down to nothing. It’s always nice to return home after some time away, even when we were able to spend it in a beautiful setting like Banff. I know I sometimes come across as though I’m always looking for a silver lining to this Covid Cloud, but because of the pandemic and some rainy weather, it was almost like we were the only people in town. Originally, we were heading up on Saturday, however, the mayor of the town asked that people stay away for the weekend so we drove to Banff on Monday afternoon. As I mentioned last week, we were celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary. We stayed in a place with a beautiful view of the Bow River and the mountains overlooking the valley. We watched a herd of elk grazing below us and hiked along the river next to the falls. It was an amazing get away and it seemed like we were all alone to enjoy it. I was once again reminded of the the beauty of this province in which we live and the majesty of God’s creations.
But now, I’m sitting in our living room in my favourite chair listening to the wind and watching the trees sway back and forth. I’m reminded of a story told by my Branch President while I was in the Provo MTC, then known as the LTM, or Language Training Mission, trying, mostly unsuccessfully, to learn Japanese.
He was trying to impress upon us the necessity of being flexible as we faced the challenges of mission and life. Specifically, he compared two varieties of what at the time I thought were both trees, but have since learned one is a true tree while the other is more closely related to grass: the oak and the bamboo. He said that when faced with a strong and violent storm, the oak, despite it’s rigid appearance of unwavering strength, will often find itself broken in the face of high winds, while the bamboo will bend and flex, but not succumb to the storm.
Now, I realize this is a somewhat dangerous analogy if taken too far, however, the idea that we must be able to be somewhat flexible in our approach to life is wise advice. I have too often seen the stiff and inflexible unable to adapt to a situation that challenges their view of how and where their path should take them.
Elder Holland was quoting Dennis Wholey when he said:
“Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you’re a good person is like expecting a bull not to attack you because you’re a vegetarian.”
Indeed, President Nelson’s inspired counsel for us to “let God prevail” is exactly how we need to live our lives, as opposed to the antithetical concept of us counselling God as to how and when we should receive His blessings. Were the latter to be the case, we would likely all be billionaires living in temperate climates with perfect health and absent any challenges or temptations of any kind. We know that is neither realistic nor productive as it relates to God’s plan for us.
So we move forward in life relishing the beauties of the earth, serving those around us, and enjoying the moments that truly bring meaning into our existence, while preparing as best we can, for the challenges that await us.
Such an approach to life is sometimes referred to as “enduring to the end”. To endure is defined as:
“to remain firm under suffering or misfortune without yielding.”
It implies a sense of negativity and heartache as we attempt to maintain our commitments and covenants and as we travel our mortal path.
I prefer to think of enduring as one of an unwavering, unending and abiding pledge to follow God’s plan for us to return to Him. Yes, it will be bumpy and occasionally it may appear that it is too difficult to keep going.
Again quoting Elder Holland:
“Don't you quit. You keep walking. You keep trying. There is help and happiness ahead. Some blessings come soon, some come late, and some don’t come until heaven; but for those who embrace the gospel of Jesus Christ, they come. It will be all right in the end. Trust God and believe in good things to come.”
And one more, probably my favourite:
“No misfortune is so bad that whining about it won’t make it worse.”
In the past 15 months, we’ve been told so many things by so many supposed experts that it is not surprising that our cynicism cup has long since over-flowed.
On the other hand, we have been counselled and encouraged by President Nelson and all of the Apostles and other General Authorities that this time of trial will soon pass and the work of the Gospel of Jesus Christ will not be stymied. More temples around the world are opening to Phase 3. Some MTCs are reopening as well. I dare say that these are indications that a dramatic moderation in the pandemic is on the horizon.
Better days are ahead. We start this week with a return to 15% of Fire Code capacity, or, for our building, 107 people. Of course, masks, hand sanitizer and social distancing will still be required.
I am hopeful that the newest reopening plan as set out by the government will bear fruit and that we will indeed be restriction free by sometime in July.
And, of course, I’m also hopeful that the wind will stop blowing.
Stay safe, stay healthy and social distance.
We love you all.
Bishop Brooks