March 21, 2020
Dear Cardston 5th Ward Members,
It certainly has been an interesting week. I’m sure we have never seen the circumstances in
which we are all now living. It seems as though we are receiving updates and alterations at
least daily, if not more often. I’m sure I’m not the only one who looks forward to the daily
updates from our government leaders with both interest and apprehension. I would like to hope
that this will soon be over, but while I have confidence that at some point we can say it is under
control, I’m not sure it’s going to be anytime soon. Too many things will have to occur before
the restrictions we are currently under can safely be lifted. The best thing we can do to hasten
a positive resolution is to follow the direction of health officials regarding social distancing, self
isolation and, if necessary, quarantine. I know many of you want to reach out to your
neighbours and friends to share these trying times, and while I encourage that, it has to be
done safely. Phone, text, email and FaceTime are our new normal, at least for the foreseeable
future. To not follow this direction puts people at risk. Please don’t think you are somehow
immune; you’re not.
I applaud all of you who are finding things to do to keep yourself busy. As a bishopric, we tried
to contact everyone in the ward these past few days. I cannot begin to tell you how delightful it was
to speak with you for a few minutes. We have an amazing ward. Your resilience is uplifting and
exemplary.
Our week started last Sunday with more than 15 elders and young men braving the snow and
cold to first shovel out the Temple Street Chapel then do a sweep of the ward to make sure
sidewalks and driveways were at least passable. We practiced social distancing, but had a
wonderful time providing service. I didn’t realize we had so many snowblowers in the ward. I
once again learned that allowing men to show off their toys will have them flock in droves.
I’ve heard of people who are taking the time to quilt, to journal, to cook and to clean. They are
spending time with their children homeschooling and watching movies. I’m told Harry Potter is
a popular choice. I don’t disagree. As to cooking, I’ve heard of one person who is having a
different world food each day. One day Asian, then Thai, Mexican and so on. Another family is
working together on puzzles. While I am a bit of a foodie, I am not a jigsaw puzzle person. I
think the last one I did was made out of wood and consisted of about 10 pieces in the shape of
various farm animals. Our then 3 year old daughter, was better at it than I.
I’m also hearing of people who are working on improving their talents, or trying to acquire new
ones. The internet is an amazing source of information. Your can learn everything from auto
mechanics to ukulele. I know of one sister who taught her own sister how to make cinnamon
buns, all over FaceTime. I’m told they were delicious.
Perhaps most importantly, as we contacted the ward I was most impressed by the level of
preparation evidenced by our ward members and by the numerous offers we received to help if
anyone is short of food. We have an awesome ward.
My point is that we can, as the adage says, make lemonade from lemons. Use this time to
draw closer together as family and as a ward and community.
I’m so happy that Sister Fletcher and Pres. Oertli are organizing a method via which groceries
and medications can be obtained for our ward members, but remember to stay safe.
A couple of things I failed to mention in my last letter is that we’ve been directed to stay out of
our church buildings, including the Temple Street Chapel and the West Stake Centre. The
temple has it’s own restrictions of which I’m sure you are aware.
Also, if your temple
recommend is expiring this month, you can make arrangements to get it renewed by first
contacting Brother Spencer for an interview with a member of the bishopric, then calling
Brother Paulson to make an appointment with the stake. Remember, however, that if you are
displaying any symptoms or are currently in 14 day isolation for any reason, please wait until
that isolation is over before trying to renew.
And lastly, you should have all read the information about the sacrament in your homes next
Sunday. More information will be forthcoming, but we are currently trying to make
arrangements for all who desire to partake. Of course, every home where a worthy priest or
Melchizedek priesthood holder resides can perform the ordinance. In homes where priesthood
does not exist, we will be contacting you to make arrangements if you wish to have someone
provide the sacrament. Please note, if you are sick, particularly with a fever, a cough, a sore
throat or a runny nose, or are currently self-isolated, we will not be able to bring the sacrament
to you. It is simply not safe.
We are two weeks from General Conference, a conference that President Nelson promised
would be unlike any we had ever experienced. I thinks it’s safe to say it already is. Remember
to read, ponder and pray about JS History in the Pearl of Great Price in preparation. I’m
confident this will be a General Conference that we will never forget.
I love you all
Bishop Brooks