To our dear 5th ward family,
I saw a comment this week that read “What an interesting year this last half hour has been”. I’m not sure any of us could have anticipated the flurry of changes and cancellations that have occurred in the past 7 days. As I encouraged you to do last week, I hope you have taken advantage of the Church News app that has up to the minute coverage on changes affecting the Church membership. Numerous news sites have pages dedicated specifically to Covid 19, which this week was declared a pandemic by the World Health Organization. It would be easy to panic in the face of such events.
President Ferguson has asked that I pass the following on to each of you:
Dear Bishops, just to reaffirm my love, support and prayers for all of you and our stake members. I hope each of you are feeling a great sense of gratitude for a living Prophet, even Russell M Nelson. How blessed we are to know as members of the church that as we follow counsel from the leadership of the church we will be blessed, protected, and safe! I know you have read and are informed about the ongoing concerns with this global pandemic!
Please convey to your members the following:
- The Lord is in Charge
- We have a living Prophet who is guiding us in these latter days.
- Encourage members to do their Come Follow Me
- Look after their minister Brothers & Sisters and Families.
- Use good hygiene practices and avoid large groups.
- We are not allowing Sacrament to be administered in their homes at this time. That direction will come through Stake Presidency through the Bishop.
- We are discouraging building use as much as possible.
We love you all and invite you to encourage your members to pray that this will pass as we know it will. Stay safe and keep intouch with your members. We are a blessed people and things will be ok.
Pres J Ferguson
As you all know, for the foreseeable future we will not be having any church meetings, including sacrament meeting. That comes from the First Presidency and is a world-wide direction. In addition, temple work has been temporarily adjusted and there will not be any proxy ordinances until further notice. Living ordinances are by appointment only. Please contact the temple for specific instruction regarding living ordinances.
In the meantime, we are also dealing with a significant snow fall. I
read something the other day from Dr. David Livingston, he of “Dr.
Livingston I presume” fame. He said, “sympathy is no substitute for action”. I agree. In this time of trial, I’m asking each person who has a ministering assignment to reach out to their ministering family to determine if they are weathering this particular storm. If you can, FaceTime them so it’s more personal. I’m hoping everyone can be contacted. Then report to your supervisor. Specifically, make sure that everyone has sufficient food and other necessaries. If someone needs assistance, let Pres. Jasperson or Pres. Oertli know.
Isolation can be an added burden on top of everything else and while we don’t have a solution for Covid 19 or a winter storm, we can communicate with each other. And remember, please exercise common sense in your day to day activities. If you’re sick, stay home. Practice social distancing, including getting used to not shaking hands. Wash your hands with soap and water on a regular and frequent basis. Use hand sanitizer if you can get it. Refrain from touching your face, especially your mouth, nose and eyes. And don’t forget that the majority of our ward members fit within the age group that is most susceptible to this viruses effects. Trust in the Lord and follow the Prophet. We will get through this.
We love you all.
Bishop Brooks
Brother Schaffer
Brother McMurray
Inspiration and News
President Nelson Shares Message of Hope during COVID-19 Outbreak As concern over COVID-19 continues and Church worship services are suspended worldwide, watch this message of hope from President Russell M. Nelson.
Watch