Saturday, May 30, 2020

Bishop's letter May 31st

May 30, 2020

Dearest 5th Ward Members,

By my count, we are on day 74 of our little taste of eternity. It looks like I got my snowblower
fixed just in time for the weather to become summer-like. Soon I will have to make an
appointment to take the snow tires off, although September is only a 13 short weeks away.

I read a parenting meme that might explain how we are feeling right now:

I just wanted five minutes alone so I sent my kid in the other room to look for a
toy that’s in my pocket.
Follow me for more parenting hacks.

On a similar vein:
I’m helping my son search for his chocolate that I ate last night.


This togetherness has been both a blessing and a curse for many. Certainly, we miss seeing all
of you every week and sharing the wonderful experience of worshipping together. When that will change remains a bit of a mystery. However, the opportunities we have had to draw closer
together as a ward family despite our social distancing have been memorable and up-lifting. The service that has been offered to many, the calls from ministering brothers and sisters, as well as contacts from members of our ward, who although not officially called to minister to certain families, have nevertheless called and contacted many people to offer help and support, have been nothing short of incredible. My heart is filled with love and appreciation for all of you and for all you do. Once again, I quote Brother Gladding when I say “Ministering is alive and well in the Cardston 5th Ward.”

As I have explained in past letters, my job is in large part 2 weeks in Medicine Hat and two
weeks at home, although this is starting to loosen up somewhat as the Provincial restrictions are beginning to relax. Frankly, I can’t wait to go back to work full-time as I really need the rest. I don’t think I have ever worked as hard as I have in the past few weeks. My project manager is a fountain of new expectations and ideas. On the other hand, this same project manager looked at me one day and said “Don’t you have to go back to Medicine Hat soon?” I’d been home 4 days. I’m wondering if any other work-away spouses are having similar experiences. If this is what retirement is like, I might work until I’m 90. On the other hand, I’m happy to report that the oft mentioned garden boxes are now full of little green shoots of, hopefully, vegetables in the making. In fact, they have been so successful that the project manager suggested/directed me to build another for a birthday gift for our soon to be 8 year old grandson. Some of the work involved with the garden boxes went way easier if an extra pair of hands and eyes were involved, so I enlisted Lori’s help. It wasn’t long before she asked if I would be providing help to her on her projects. My vacant expression led her to saying that during this time of pandemic, my projects are also her projects, but her projects are hers alone. Sorry brethren, but, the secret’s out.

We are happy to welcome home Elder R Masi from the Canada Winnipeg Mission. I am
very proud of Reggie and his service. Please join me in welcoming him. We will arrange to have him report his mission and post it on the blog as we did with Elders Sloan and
Sommerfeldt as well as Elder and Sister Creed. We are so blessed to have their influence on
our ward. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to perform missionary work in the current
circumstances. 

I apologize if I’ve mentioned this before, but our daughter Cassie and her husband and adorable little boy recently moved from one ward to another in Calgary. They completed this move in late February and attended exactly two Sundays in their new ward prior to the cessation of formal Sunday meetings. They really didn’t get to know anyone because they
were just one of many young families in a very large, and very young ward. Several weeks into the social distancing experience, the missionaries called her and, among other things, asked her if they were active. Their memberships were on the ward list, but no one really knew who they were. She reported, much to the relief of her parents, that they were very active and had just moved into the ward. The missionaries, being missionaries, then promptly asked her if she knew anyone they could perhaps approach and teach. She gave them the name of a co-worker, whom the elders contacted, all via technology. That lady is now taking the discussions. The work, although different than anything we have experienced, is still proceeding. Reach out to our missionaries. They are doing their best to stay busy, but they need our help.

I again want to tell you how much I love each of you.
Stay healthy and safe.
Love,
Bishop Brooks