Saturday, May 9, 2020

Happy Mother's Day From Bishop Brooks :)

May 10, 2020
Dear 5th Ward Members

Happy Mother’s Day to all of the sisters in the ward. I hope you
have all had a wonderful day. You certainly all deserve to be
honoured, not just today, but throughout the year.

We had a wonderful opportunity this week with the Young Women
and Young Men of our ward to bring the sisters a small token of
our appreciation. I am so proud of our youth and their
commitment to serve. I can only imagine how hard it has been for
them to be socially isolated from their friends, but I’m hopeful that
their experiences with family have been positive.

For those of you keeping track, I finished 8 garden boxes that now
sit empty and awaiting the 10 yards of premium garden soil that
we purchased from Burnco through our local Home Hardware. I
cannot believe how much soil that actually is. I’m beginning to
wonder if one of the side effects of Covid 19 is making really ill
considered and rash decisions. If so, I know I would test positive.
Oh well, we are looking forward to a bounteous harvest come fall.

I had to laugh when I saw Brother John Bridge surrounded by his
grandchildren going on a nature walk this past week. He reports
that they not only walked around the neighbourhood, but down
into the creek valley where they learned all about the local flora
and fauna. I think the average age, Brother Bridge not included, to
be somewhere around 6. I’m not sure how many kids there were
as it would have been like trying to count sheep in a pen, but I did
see that John had a rather intimidating staff as a walking stick.
I’ve always thought Brother Bridge was a very bright man. He
reports trying to maintain social distancing was mostly successful.

I came across a quote from Sheri Dew that made me again think
of the impact all of our mothers have on us.
“Few of us will reach our potential without the nurturing of both the
mother who bore us and the mothers who bear with us.” ~ Sheri
Dew, “Are We Not All Mothers?”
I was again reminded of all those who have impacted me
throughout my life. I’m sure many of you are having similar
thoughts.

Another quote:
“Motherhood is near to divinity. It is the highest, holiest service to
be assumed by mankind. It places her who honours its holy
calling and service next to the angels.” ~ The First Presidency in
1935, as quoted by Russell M. Nelson in “Our Sacred Duty to
Honor Women”

To all of you angels, have a happy Mother’s Day and know that
you are loved, both here and in the eternities.

Stay safe and stay healthy.
Love
Bishop Brooks