November 29, 2020
Dear 5th Ward Family
So November is coming to a close and Christmas is fast upon us. I’ve been listening to what is becoming my favourite radio station, the Hallmark Christmas station on satellite radio. It plays nonstop Christmas music and little tidbits about their Christmas movies. Sadly, I’ve watched most of them, so the behind-the-scenes information is really quite interesting. I don’t know when this happened, although I’m guessing it was about the same time I realized all my favourite movies are found on Turner Classic Movies.
Anyway, it got me thinking about the impact that music has had on my life. I never really had any formal training, with the exception of 2 1/2 years of trying to play the trombone, but I discovered on my mission that I could carry a tune and even sing some harmony. Lori encouraged me to sing in the choir in one of our wards and that lead to performing both solos and in groups. My first solo was about this time of year when I sang, O Holy Night in Sacrament meeting. I got a lot of “I didn’t know you sang” comments, which in hind sight wasn’t particularly encouraging.
Not long before we moved back to Southern Alberta, our ward put on a performance of “The Forgotten Carols”. The solo parts were split up among the choir members, and I sang “The Shepherd”. I didn’t realize that its a portent of things to come.
We moved to Cardston in the spring of 1998 and started building the home in which we still live. In the spring of 2001, while I was a member of the Stake choir, Sister Debbie Burt asked me to sing a solo part in Stake conference. It was a scriptural reference that I’ve never forgotten, and has great meaning, especially in our time of trial:
Peace I leave with you
My peace I give unto you
Not as the world giveth
Give I unto you
Let not your heart be troubled
Neither let it be afraid
What a message of hope and comfort. While uttered over two millennia ago, those words of peace and calm have been a source of strength and tranquility to many who have been faced with tribulations and hardship. I’m reminded of the words spoken to Joseph Smith when he found himself imprisoned in inhumane conditions in Liberty Jail:
7 And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.
8 The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?
This is likely the first time that many of us have been faced with what could be described as a true test. Yes, we have had individual tests, that is to be both expected and in some ways welcomed. But we are currently being tested not as individuals or even families or communities, but on a global scale. Unfortunately, many of us have, as a result of years of seeming spin doctoring and even downright untruths, lost faith in our political leaders to the point we do not believe them or want to follow their direction. Like the boy who cried wolf, some of us feel we can’t trust them and therefore choose not to. Know that we have been directed by a living prophet to follow the advice and direction of our elected leaders during this time of Covid. To not follow them at this time is potentially not just at our peril but at the peril of those around us. In times such as these, we must follow those whom we have elected and more importantly follow the counsel of a living prophet of God while holding to words of comfort from His Son. He is the source of peace, hope, comfort and truth.
So while we contemplate a virtual Christmas morning bereft of children and grandchildren, let’s remember that we can get through this. Better days are ahead with the very real possibility of a miraculous medical intervention that is indeed a gift from God.
In 2006, the Carriage House Theatre produced Michael Maclean’s “The Forgotten Carols.” I’d been asked to play the role of Uncle John, who (spoiler alert) is actually John the Beloved. However, unlike my one solo effort from 8 years earlier, I would this time be singing all of Uncle John’s songs. The feelings of love and acceptance when performing that role were amazing. When I think back to that time I’m reminded how good music can uplift and edify and how it can actually speak to our souls. Uncle John’s songs were for those who didn’t see the babe lying in a manger, or who failed to make it with the other wisemen, or who turned Mary and Joseph away from the inn. In short, they are for all of us who must simply rely on faith to overcome the challenges we face. In many ways, that’s where we are today. Have faith and do not waiver. He will be there to guide us.
A great example of doing good things during difficult times is our ward Relief Society. I was lucky enough to spend a little time yesterday delivering the beautiful gifts they compiled for us all. We will greatly miss gathering together to eat and celebrate in our usual Christmas activity, however, President Oertli and her counsellors were absolutely inspired in allowing us to virtually wish each other a Merry Christmas.
We will meet today at 10 am for Sacrament meeting. That is because we are only having one meeting and are the only ward in the building. We are limited to 95 people. I know that is both awkward and irritating but it is the restriction we are under. We simply cannot have more than that in the building, so we will keep track and limit attendees accordingly. The link for the primary presentation is
http://www.youtube.com/c/CardstonAlbertaWestStake/live
Please check the blog daily because as you know, the situation is very fluid.
Stay safe, stay healthy and social distance.
We love you all,
Bishop Brooks