Saturday, November 7, 2020

Bishop Brooks' letter November 8th

 November 8, 2020


Dear 5th Ward Family


I hope everyone is staying safe inside and warm on this snowy, blustery weekend. This week, I’ve been watching the weather forecast even more closely than I usually do, as I had to make a decision about driving home Friday when Sunday is forecast to be a serious blizzard in Medicine Hat. As I have to be in court in the Hat on Monday, I had to decide whether driving home this weekend was a wise thing. The bottom line was I chose to stay in Medicine Hat and not journey home. So, my security cameras show a serious winter storm in Cardston, while the snow isn’t supposed to start here until Saturday night, but when it does, they are forecasting lots of snow and bad roads. I’ve been doing this travelling for my job for almost 10 years now. We’ve got people in the ward who have been doing the work away from home thing longer than that. I’ve got to be honest and tell you that sometimes it’s tough. But we soldier on because it’s the right thing to do. My kids tease me because of my obsession with weather forecasts. Actually, they tease me about way more than that, but it shows they care and I love them for that. I’m so grateful for Lori and all she does to support me. I’ve been truly blessed.


This Wednesday, November 11, many of us would ordinarily meet at the High School for Remembrance Day ceremonies. Not surprisingly, Covid has interrupted our normal routine. The Town website encourages us watch the National Ceremony from Ottawa, commencing at 8:45 Mountain Standard Time. It will be broadcast on our local channel 32 as well as on the Legion Facebook page. Further information can be found on the Town of Cardston website. 


In addition to the ceremony, we are encouraged to take a few minutes, sometime this week, to attend at the cenotaph and pay our respects to those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice. We have a new memorial erected in the location near the courthouse museum while the original cenotaph was relocated to the Cardston Cemetery. We’re are encouraged to social distance when we attend, and even to stay in your car if others are in attendance. I encourage you to take the opportunity to do so. 


We’ve been reminded again this week that we are still in the grips of the Covid pandemic. The daily diagnosed cases are at all time highs, particularly in Lethbridge, Calgary and Edmonton. Please follow the government directions to social distance and limit the people with whom you associate. We will continue to meet for one meeting this next Sunday, November 15th, and you will see some small changes in the routine, including making seating in the overflow area of the gymnasium available. The idea is to allow for as much ventilation as possible to reduce the possibility of exposure. We have anecdotally heard of a ward in Calgary where a confirmed case of Covid was discovered. AHS contacted everyone who attended that Sunday and told them to watch for any symptoms either personally or among family members. Should that occur in our ward, we would expect to be contacted in a similar fashion. That’s why we keep a record of all those who attend. We will continue to ensure that we have hand sanitizer for everyone and that everyone wears masks while in the building and not remove them until they are seated. Masks must also be worn even if you stand up to leave the chapel during the meeting, or to come up on to the stand to pray. We will continue to do all we can to keep everyone as safe as we possibly can. In the meantime, please remember that if you are in an “at risk” group,  either because of illness, chronic or otherwise, or age, please don’t attend Sacrament meeting. Continue to worship at home, including preparing and partaking of the sacrament, and if you need assistance with that, contact either President Widmer or President Oertli and we will make arrangements to bring you the sacrament. 


We received a letter from the new area presidency this past week. In it, we are reminded of our obligations to follow government direction in this matter. In some areas of our province where a mask by-law exists, including Lethbridge and Calgary, among others, a mask must be worn by all Sacrament meeting attendees. That is not what we have here in Cardston, so as a result we are not required to wear masks while seated in Sacrament meeting or while speaking at the podium. That may change, depending on government rules, but currently it is not required. However, if you want to wear a mask while seated, that is entirely up to you. 


Please remember that we disinfect all areas of the building both before and after our meetings and we will continue to do so. Please also remember that if anyone needs help with obtaining groceries, or is running short of anything and feels uncomfortable going out of their home to obtain it, we can help with that. Again, contact either President Oertli or President Widmer and we can make arrangements. 


In the meantime, we continue to deal with regular day to day difficulties of life. People have injuries , illnesses and afflictions. We have too many in our ward who are going through struggles. Seek them out, let them know you love and care for them, and lift their burdens as best you can. 


I’m going to be contacting you via telephone for tithing settlement this year. If you want to see me in person, I’ll do that, but you will need to make arrangements with Brother Spencer. In the meantime, I’ll be calling you directly. I know it’s far from ideal, however under the circumstances, it is likely the safest way. 


We want you to all know how much we love and appreciate you. You are in my thoughts and prayers daily. 


Stay safe, stay healthy and social distance. 


Love


Bishop Brooks