Saturday, December 26, 2020

Bishop Brooks' letter December 27th

 Dec. 27, 2020

Dear 5th Ward Family

I hope this finds you healthy and happy following our Very Covid Christmas celebrations. It is likely that you were meeting with friends and family via phone and computer to express feelings of love and longing. Remember, we must have faith that this is a “one-off” year and we look forward to a return to more settled times.

It is with sadness that I report the passing of Brother Lewis Raiche, who was reunited with his sweet Shirley at about 5 am the past Monday morning. Brother Raiche was a character in a world where we don’t have enough characters. He will be greatly missed and our sympathies and prayers go out to his family, especially his daughter Sister Colleen Hatch.

I want to thank all of you who have commented about my talk from last week. It was brought to my attention that I may not have completed the story of the “spoiled hooligans” who were, and are, my nephews. I should point out that while by birth I was their uncle, two were older than me and the other two were fairly close to me in age. That they did not treat me with the kind of respect an uncle usually deserves/receives, likely goes without saying. On the other hand, we grew up doing many things together and not only became very close, but remain close to this day. On the other hand, I stand by my comments from that winter of 1968. Lol

I would also like to thank all those who have remembered Lori and me in some way this Christmas season. We are extremely blessed to live in a ward with so many wonderful and thoughtful people. You have been so extremely generous with so many in our ward and I sincerely thank you for your thoughtfulness.

I know I also said that one of the things we thought we were going to miss was the family nativity, but I think I also mentioned that maybe our kids had something in the works. Indeed, on Christmas Eve, we gathered electronically for our favourite game of “Balderdash”, with the category being movies: Christmas during the Covid pandemic. Everyone had two minutes to provide a synopsis of a movie that fit the bill. Most were Hallmark themed in some way. But the last was a long synopsis of many of our former real “winners”. Then Abby, who spearheaded the night, said, we now have a movie to show, and lo and behold, there was the cutest little nativity starring all of the grandkids and a very evil James as the innkeeper. We’ve watched it several times over the last few days. It brought tears to our eyes as it truly brought the true meaning of Christmas into our home. What a blessing.

We are in the midst of that “awkward” time of year, really the calendar equivalent of adolescence. We’ve spent so much time looking forward to, and celebrating Christmas, which, as the song says, really is the most wonderful time of the year, and haven’t quite reached the beginning of the New Year, with all of it’s possibility of renewal and recommittment. As I was raised in a family obsessed with sports, we would often fill the time going to various tournaments, either as spectators or participants. More recently, we have booked a gym either here in Cardston or in Calgary and would gather our extended family together for games, food and socialization. It certainly served to strengthen family bonds and to fill in the schedule between Christmas and New Years.

But this year, the gymnasiums remain locked and shuttered and the possibility of a family gathering has been statutorily proscribed. So, if you are like me, you are looking for something else to do to spend your time.

As I think back to my youth, one of the things we did as a family was to attend tithing settlement. It seemed to me as though the only time to do tithing settlement was in the week between Christmas and New Year’s eve. It was always cold, and usually dreary, the day we made our way to the Bishop’s office to declare our tithing status. As a small boy, surviving on an allowance of $.25 per week, it was relatively easy to do the quick math. 10% of $13.00 is year, or $1.30 in tithing. Issues such as whether I should pay on my gross, or net, or not pay on CPP and other Pension contributions, let alone whether the money I had received had already been tithed, were many years in the future. It was more God’s simple principle of paying 1/10 of my increase that held sway. Perhaps this was an early example of how it is we men who make things complicated. Anyway, the bishop would ask each of us if we were full tithe payers, and we would respond. It was a great lesson taught to me in my formative years.

This year, as I have conducted tithing settlement, we have had to make concessions to our rather strange circumstances. I’ve asked some of you face to face, but most I’ve contacted by telephone. In each case, the question is the same: are you a full tithe payer. You declare, and I record your answer. It is a wonderful opportunity to “return and report”.

I know I have been unable to speak with some of you. If you would like to report your status, please call me.

We have, for the past 3 years, on this last Sunday of December, asked a select group of members to come forward during our Sacrament meeting, and share with the ward what their favourite hymn is and why, then had the congregation sing it. Of course, this year we aren’t meeting on this particular Sunday, nor would we be able to sing the hymn, so we are not going to have that opportunity. I remember that the first year we sang each verse of each hymn, and that wasn’t conducive to having very many people participate, so we’ve gradually cut the number of verses down on each hymn. It’s interesting to note the responses of those asked to give their favourite hymn. I realize some people just don’t like standing in front of a congregation to speak, even about something like a hymn, and they may even have some feelings of resentment towards me for putting them in an uncomfortable position. I apologize. However, it could be worse; I could ask you to sing your favourite hymn for us.
But this year, as we aren’t meeting together, I would like to share with you my favourite hymn. I should preface this by saying that one of my treasured parts of worship is the ability to sing hymns. There are so many that I find uplifting in so many ways. “The Morning Breaks”, “The Spirit of God”, “I’ll Go Where You Want Me To Go”, and “I Know That My Redeemer Lives” are some of my favourites, and each has a story associated with it.

However, if I was asked to name just one hymn that I would call my absolute favourite, it would be “I Stand All Amazed”, music and lyrics by Charles H. Gabriel in 1905. Gabriel is purported to have written nearly 8000 songs during his life.

When I was taking seminary during the mid 70’s, our teacher, Brother Jack Stone, reminded us of a lesson he learned from Elder Boyd K. Packer included in his 1982 book “That All May be Edified”. Elder Packer taught that we can supplant bad thoughts with good by learning the words to a hymn, and when bad thoughts creep into our minds, we can sing or recite the words of the hymn to drive them out.

Brother Stone challenged us all to learn a hymn during one seminary class. I chose, “I Stand All Amazed.”

I stand all amazed
At the love Jesus offers me
Confused at the grace
That so fully he proffers me
I tremble to know that for me
He was crucified
That for me a sinner, He suffered,
He bled and died

I marvel that He would descend
From His throne divine
To rescue a soul so rebellious
And proud as mine
That He would extend His great love
Unto such as I
Sufficient to own, to redeem
And to justify

I think of His hands, pierced and bleeding
To pay the debt
Such mercy, such love and devotion
Can I forget
No, no, I will praise and adore
At the mercy seat
Until at the glorious throne
I kneel at His feet

(Chorus)
Oh it is wonderful,
That He should care for me
Enough to die for me
Oh it is wonderful,
Wonderful to me

These expressions of wonder and awe for the love of our Saviour have brought me through times of trial and torment. I think sometimes this song was written just for me. He is my Saviour and Redeemer. I Stand All Amazed for His love, His sacrifice and His gift to us all.

I am also continually amazed at the love shown by our ward one to another. I had an example of that this week when, with both Lori and me being away, someone came and cleared my driveway. Thank you so much. Your gift will not be forgotten.

I look forward to a time when we can all be together again.

Stay safe, stay healthy and social distance.

We love you all

Bishop Brooks